Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

It is failing

As you all probably know I run a small business in a small town. I love my little shop, sometimes more than others but all in all I love it. It gives me a lot of headaches but I know what I am learning is invaluable.
I have a friend who has a fear of failing. Failing is not fun, in fact it is the oposite of fun. This friend asked me what I felt like when I would lose at a competition, I told him I would know I would have to try harder next time. True, but in the moment it usually hurts. Recently I cut my hours back to 50 a week. I was thrilled. I failed. I jumped the gun, the shop couldn't afford the weight of another full time employee I dug myself deep into a hole because I refused to pull out when I should have. I kept thinking 'it will work, if we increase by # by date and blah blah blah'. I knew I was wrong, deep down I knew, but I kept going. So Sunday I made the decision to put my hours back up to 70. I know that this lesson is invaluable to me. I now know what not to do when this question arises again. I now have a better idea of how to succeed. Today a customer said to me "I am so happy you don't have to work all day anymore, must mean business is good and your hard work is paying off." And as I am thinking about that tonight as I am thinking this is going to be hard I am realzing a different side of this little mistake, a mistake that led to a little failure. It's not just me who will know, a lot of people will know. And that is the hardest part of all, to put on that brave face and say to the world (no matter how small my world may be) I failed but I'm not giving up, I'll climb that mountain again.




-- Posted From My iPhone so please excuse the typos!

4 comments:

Cheryl Ann Wills said...

success can only be achieved by those who fail and fail again but who also continually learn from the failures, p/u and move fwd from there w/ more wisdom and determination. failure keeps us humble. and that is actually a good thing. succeeding in the end makes us good role models and examples. you are making the right moves. you are in the process of succeeding. believe it.

Cheryl Ann Wills said...

p.s. a better title might have been, It is succeeding :)
Because you are.
love you

A. said...

i miss the bean.

Full & Happy Heart said...

the bean misses you alisha.