Pages

Sunday, April 11, 2010

it is patience

Today I am learning that it is always better to wait. Well, let me start this story at the beginning.

Yesterday my new roommate moved into my house. I don't really know her, I've met her of course, but in the 15 minutes I spent "interviewing" her I came to the conclusion she was a generally honest person and wouldn't kill me when I slept. She is young, first time out of her parents' home and all that jazz. I was worried that I would have to lead her through whathaveyou and be put in a role such as a guide which is not what I want to do when I get home from long days at work. I kept thinking I should talk to her get this all hashed through, yadda yadda yadda. So now we are to yesterday, I didn't talk to her, develop massive amount of barriers, and ground rules and I didn't freak out about my space versus her space etc etc. And I am pleasantly surprised that I waited. She is more responsible more considerate and there was no reason for me to freak out on her so I'm glad I didn't, I'm glad I decided to take it as it comes, cross bridges if they come and not conjure up issues that may never exist.
I am taking this as a lesson I need to apply to other parts of my life, specifically one situation that I am finding myself. When dealing with people I am discovering you should never know what to expect, you shouldn't plan or guess or assume, they will always surprise you. I am terrible at patience. When I have made up my mind I am all in, ready for the plunge, just do it, but I have to constantly remind myself that maybe other people are more cautious, smarter, jaded, hurt, or just plain moving at a different pace. It is so hard for me to wait for the green light, waiting for my passionate self to be able to leap into the unknown. Why I am so willing to take these incredible leaps (opening a business, buying a house, etc) I don't know. Each deep dive I have taken isn't a nice clean entrance into the water, more like a belly flop from the 10m platform. But yet a new experience presents itself to me I am so willing to risk it all, see if it works and if I end up with my heart broken, leg shattered, or spleen ruptured it doesn't matter. Oh but when these chances involve other people it is so hard to let them come to this conclusion on their own, that I am worth the risk of making a mistake again, and that maybe I won't be a mistake at all, maybe it is right, maybe not, but we should find out. Even though I am chomping at the bit and ready to run I have to remember what just happened, what I am taught over and over and over again, it is always better to wait it out, take it as it comes, don't get ahead of yourself.

3 comments:

AdaliaMusic said...

Very wise words and good decisions, but it's easier said than done. I hope it all works out for you, and soon so you can be at peace :)

Anonymous said...

you are wise. your patience will win whatever the outcome

Anonymous said...

what i meant to say was: you are wise; your patience will cause you to win whatever the outcome.