Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

it is your heart

Have you ever met someone who tells you everything, and tells everyone everything. Not that this person is a Yenta but they want everyone to know about there problems and they want compassion from everyone, more or less falling into a victim mentality. I have a friend who is going through a rough patch. Family life is crazy, work life is possibly worse and friends are getting tired of hearing the same old woes.
We all have a desire to be known, this is going back to my previous blog, but that is why I blog and am addicted to Facebook. However I do feel that there is a time and a place for who should know and when you tell them and how much you tell them. There is a poem by E. E. Cummings, I believe, and the last line reads, I hold your heart, I hold it in my heart. I believe that when someone shares their experiences and thoughts and dreams and woes and hopes and emotions with you, you are entrusted with a part of that person's heart. I feel that we should be careful who we share our thoughts and sorrows and hopes and dreams with. Because forever that person will hold part of our heart and what they do with it can uplift us, or it can destroy us.
Going back to my friend. This person has put their heart out there for everyone to see, everyone knows exactly what mess this person is in. No one wonders everyone knows. And so this person is heart-wrenched all the time. There is never a moment of peace, there is never a moment of strength. I believe that when you leave your heart open you are vulnerable to so much more pain because your protection is gone and everything no matter how small is able to attack you, nothing bounces off, your ability to analyse and think logically about a situation is gone, everything becomes emotional. Everything hurts.
I guess my reason for writing this out is to warn you about putting yourself, your heart, your soul, out into the world without discernment, with out caution, without protection. For once your heart is gone it is almost impossible to ever get it back.


2 comments:

A. said...

I know, seriously, how did I miss that?!?!?! I was homeschooled, haha :)
Is this the blog I should comment on?
And yes, awkward is an awkward word. Anything with two w's with only one letter in between is weird...

Cheryl Ann Wills said...

protect your heart...very wise. don't keep it secret from everyone, but surely do not exposed it to the world. just like you so eloquently said.