Pages

Monday, January 25, 2010

it is a human right

The other day was Martin Luther King Jr Day a man that stood up for human rights. I have an uncanny ability to remember peoples names, what they do, their favorite sports teams. their dogs, their kids, their struggles, their triumphs and everything in between. A customer marveled at the fact that I was able to recall different aspects of their life. And I began thinking about this ability I have. I am not a memorable person. The people I have seen every day for the past four years, yes they recognize me. But some that maybe I saw an hour or so before and we had chatted about the upcoming test or the stressful day at the office, I won't be remembered out from behind my bar. And that is fine, I served my purpose in their life for that day, that moment, I filled that need.
We all feel the need to be known. That is why I have this blog, am addicted to facebook and post stupid videos on youtube. None of us want to go through life being forgotten, unknown, alone. Now this is where I can tie it all together. I believe it is a human right to be recognized, to be remembered. I don't believe anyone deserves to be forgotten.
Sometimes people share things with me while I am behind the bar that I don't want them to. Often times I know about the same phone call three days running, or the issue with the light bulbs that has been dragging out for two weeks. Sometimes it is hard to help the grieving daughter who just lost their father, or the poor kid on the block who doesn't have a dime to his name, or the drunk who somehow magically bought a computer, or to the mother who is tired of dealing with her rebellious teenager, or the student who just can't figure out college, or the kid who really wants to be all grown up and living his dream but can't figure out how to get there. Sometimes I forget what my purpose is. Sometimes I wish it wasn't my purpose that is was someone else's problem to listen and offer the same advice every day. But it's OK at the end of the day, the week, the month when one person says thank you at the end of our conversation. It helps to get to the next conversation, and the next problem. Though sometimes I am tired and feel that I have nothing much left to give, someone will see me at the grocer and say hi fancy seeing you here. And then I the forgettable one was unforgettable for a change.

No comments: