Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

it is stitch

You all know I have horses and they are each unique and different. Those of you who don't have pets wouldn't quite understand and you might be rolling your eyes at this point saying "oh she's one of those people".
Moving on.
Stitch - he is my very handsome ex-racehorse with generally 3 working legs. You see an acquaintance of mine bought him from PA where he arrived broken and was subsequently tossed "out to pasture", due to a misdiagnosis by her vet, where he was expected to live out the rest of his days enjoying grass and sunshine in a constant state of pain. At some point she tired of paying for a horse of whom she got no pleasure from and was planning to ship him off to auction where he was sure to wind up at the butchers being several hundred pounds underweight and 3-legged lame. Well you see, I had become a little attached to the guy visiting the stable and he had a cute face and a good personality and believing that he was misdiagnosed I bought him. I had my vet out, but unfortunately the correct diagnosis was no better and expensive surgery that had a 50/50 chance of working. So Stitchy has been put on numerous herbal supplements, steroids and whatnot to keep him happy and comfortable as he lives his life merrily with his best friend Bodyguard.
Stitch was given his name by my sister. He is named after the little sometimes evil alien Disney character. Cut of course but he bit, kicked and was generally a hell raiser. After a few months of arguing he was finally won over with cookies and grain and is quite lovable now. However if you are ever doing something he would rather not have done instead of biting he tilts his head to one side and grinds his teeth. He sleeps curled up in a ball in often the muddiest spit he can find. The other day however he was curled up in a big pile of hay and my friend went out to give him his breakfast she sat down next to him and he put his head in her lap and let her rub his ears. The other day we got him out to put him through his paces to see how he was feeling. I do this for two reasons 1) you never know when a miraculous healing might occur and 2) if no miracles have happened then we need to make sure his meds are at the proper dosage. As he was trotting along haphazardly (no miracle yet) he kept looking at me standing in the middle of the ring with a look that can only be described as a glare. As he got to the end of the long side he stopped, sighed, looked out to the pasture than back to me and ground his teeth. What a little punk. :-). Even though he is generally lame on a good day he can come out and go for a nice walk. My sister was riding him and he apparently was bored because he began twisting his head from side to side while taking big exaggerated steps. One of the funniest things I ever saw a horse do. He is also the only horse I have ever seen be able to scratch his ear with his hind leg like a dog. The first time this event occurred I didn't believe it. He is a little socially awkward and doesn't make new horsey friends easily. But if a person goes out in the pasture he is the first to come say hi sniff all your pockets and follow you around like a shadow. All in all I am very happy he is in my life. He makes me smile every time I see him :-).

YouTube Video













-- Posted From My iPhone so please excuse the typos!

5 comments:

Cheryl Ann Wills said...

he is a funny horse.I'm glad he makes you happy.

Katherine said...

I agree! He IS a funny horse. I'm glad you rescued him and gave Bodyguard a friend. Stitchy was always nice to me =)

KiloZulu said...

Awe Stitch...I want him to marry Virginia and have babies. <3

Full & Happy Heart said...

LOL Kris - they would be pretty interesting looking horppies? puporse? hods?

AdaliaMusic said...

How cute!! I loved the vid. He's so adorable :) I love Stitchy :)