Pages

Friday, July 17, 2009

it is a new experience

A new customer came into my shop yesterday. She left her wallet. Upon opening the wallet, I found a green card, her international driver’s license, her birth certificate, and her social security card. There was no contact info with a “states” address all the info was for Puerto Rico. So I called the US Embassy to ask who I should talk to about getting these things back in her procession, they passed me on to homeland security, when I talked to the agent there she explained that this occurrence is so rare that they do not have a procedure set in place and so passed me onto immigration. After weaving my way through the third voice prompt system to talk to a human, she was genuinely surprised that I had called. She said they rarely get this kind of documentation turned in and if I were to send it to my local immigration office there would be no guarantee that the documents would make it back to the owner. That if they do get anything turned in it normally is just the green card and they can track her address that way but that a whole wallet of legal documentation was sure to get lost among the mess.

2 comments:

Cheryl Ann Wills said...

fascinating! i guess it would typically be stolen? it sure does have everything someone needs to be her. I find it hard to believe that she hasn't contacted the shop. surely she is trying to retrace her steps to track it down! perhaps she will begin carrying a purse or satchel and not just a wallet that is so easily laid down and left behind in the first place!
I'm glad you surprised everyone at homeland security and immigration:)

stlouismb said...

Crazy!