Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Vacation

Isn't it amazing at how refreshed you feel after a good vacation?? I'm not talking about a trip that was packed to the hilt you spent hundreds of dollars a day on food and got a new pair of blisters on your feet every night. I'm talking about a real vacation, one where you actually get to take a deep breath and taste the world around you (hopefully where ever you are has clean air and not smog because that just wouldn't be fun).
For those of you who know me you know I work allot, and when I say allot I mean minimum 50 hours a week in store plus whatever doing the books and such. Most recently for the past 6 weeks or so I was putting in 70+ in store so you can imagine how I felt. Now of course this is nothing to my sister, but thats another tale. So thanks to my wonderful family they shipped me off to CO to hang with a friend who had moved out there a few months back. This trip was packed with hikes, cycling, horseback riding, horse shows and of course tack shop hopping (one of my favorite past-times). And yes I was exhausted each night, and my lungs hurt from the lack of oxygen at 4000 feet, and my skin seemed to be robbed of all moisture but it was fantastically refreshing. On day 3 & 4 I must admit that I was still dreading the homecoming my brain was still in overload, and it still felt like a Sunday. And even when I stepped on the plane to fly home I had a slight feeling of depression. It was good to see my dog, I had missed
her terribly. And it was nice to go out and see my boys (which now total 3 big handsome bay beasts)


But still the thought of the shop that for the past year+ I had toiled, cried, and sweat for was the one thing I did not want to face. I must say that I felt some sort of remorse for my feelings. Walking into the Bean I felt the love and warmth that made this place what it is. And suddenly all the good memories came flooding back, the smiling faces of the customers who were glad to see me again & my employees who were happy (if not relieved) to have me back. I realized that I had forgotten what my little shop looked like. Not physically of course I remembered the red floors & the Chinese lanterns swinging from the lofted ceiling but I realized that I had forgotten to look at any of these large details let alone the small ones long before I had left for my break. And in that second of walking through my little door it again felt like home, I remembered how much I truly love the Bean and all I do here. You know this line is a favorite in movies how "it took almost dying for me to realize what is important" for me it just took a trip to Boulder, CO and a big deep breath of fresh mountain air. <3

2 comments:

Cheryl Ann Wills said...

aaawww...how sweet.

Christina Wolkenfeld said...

:) you are awesome! what would the Bean with out YOU! It wouldn't be like Cheers anymore that's for sure. ;) you are awesome!