Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

it is a changing person

I've been doing deep thinking lately about change and I thought I'd revisit my blog about the subject.
The other day I was talking to a friend about his girlfriend and the problems they are having. I asked him if he really wanted things to work out between them and he said "well if she would change abc and xyz then maybe" My response was of course people don't change. Then I started thinking about how much life does change. And how much I've changed. And how much people I know have changed. But why is it whenever we speak of relationships we say 'you better love that person as they are they won't change' or 'if you have that issue with them now it's will only get worse because they won't stop that habit'? Because truth of the matter is people do change. We can't change people but people change themselves. So this of course got me thinking about my personal change and growth and learning. I really like who I am now. But I also liked who I was in the past. Truth is I think there was only a short period in my teenhood that I didn't like myself. Yet I've changed so much in the past 5 years. So here's the theory I came up with after hours of pondering..... I am the same me just a deeper older wiser version of me. I still have my sense of adventure, my kindness, my silliness, my deep pure heart, my sense of humor, my same character flaws and strengths exist.
So here is my theory. We do change, we grow, we learn hopefully we get wiser but most importantly we become more of who we already were. Our outsides might change our attitudes, our perceptions but our hearts our core our souls they don't that is who we are 'til the day we die. I believe we can unearth good or bad parts of us as time goes by but it of course can only be our choosing not being forced by someone else's mind.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

Katherine said...

I think you're right, Becca. Souls don't change, but I certainly hope the rest of me does. There are still plenty of things about me that I wouldn't miss if they morphed into something else. That's the nice thing about about running up against challenges - things come out of your character, either good or bad, that you didn't know were there.

I miss you!

Full & Happy Heart said...

I miss you too Kath!