Pages

Friday, September 28, 2007

TGiF?

I find it amazing how programmed we as humans are. On occasion throughout my life I have had what I like to refer as "matrix moments". I am sure a good chunk of you reading this blog have seen the movie, and I venture a guess that all have at least heard of it. Now before I continue I must digress to say that I am not a lover of the trilogy but I did find some of the points interesting food for thought, this being one of them. Now back to my narration...
The first time I had a "matrix moment" I was working at a before school daycare with the YMCA. It was a brilliant program, and I truly enjoyed my job. One day as I was leaving as the kids were coming into the school I had this terrible sense of monotony and depression as I watched these children all rush into the school to be boxed up for several hours, let to play for a set period, then shipped off to sport or music or some other practice of sorts. I could just see the massive computer calculating developing cells or whatever it needed to harvest from these poor young things. So sitting here today, a Friday in the great year of 2007 (well I guess every year should be considered great if we are living to see it) it struck me that at such an early age as 3 we are programmed to love Fridays. Being homeschooled I have to confess that I assumed that TGIF was for adults mostly and children were immune to the love of the weekend because everyday after school work was finished there was something to look forward to. As I am now somewhat of an adult living an adult life I find it completely appalling that the children who come into my shop at 5 years of age who are looking forward to the weekend! From that early age we are completely programmed to follow some sort of rule that society has pressed upon us, including the general love of Fridays. If you think about it when Friday morning rolls around and you are laying underneath all your warm blankets soaking up the last minutes or sleep the one thing that makes that day any better than the day before is the fact that this day is Friday. You suddenly know that you can get out of bed today because it is the last day of the work week and that if you make it through that day you will be able to enjoy Saturday and Sunday. Now, is Friday any easier a day than say Wednesday? Is it more fun? Is your work load lighter? Even I succumb to the joy of Friday, which makes no sense in seeing that I work every Saturday and Fridays actually tend to be longer and harder than the rest of the week. Again it goes back to the programibilty of the human psyche. So I pose this question, why not Monday? Can we not be as excited on Monday as we are on Friday? If you think about it one day is no different than the next and if the fact that we view Friday as a better day then the lot of them why can we not choose a different day? Can we not re-program ourselves? Defy the "master controller" of society and take a firm grip on our own psyche? Or is it that we as a human race have settled? Have we simply settled on, the best paying job we could find, or the only job we could find, without applying ourselves to gain what really would be the best for our lives in the long run, not just at the time? Or is it circumstances that have forced us into jobs that we dislike so much that when the weekend comes that is the only time we can really be ourselves? Can we not change our circumstances? Or is someone pulling the strings? Do we fall into self-sabotaging states that keep us in those circumstances? I firmly believe that each and every person has a purpose here on this earth, but I also believe that the majority of people are honestly too blind or caught up to see it. I think that we are all so programmed to do what society wants us to do we forget about our own self worth. I think it is time that the human race made a stand for itself. I think that we should search our souls our innermost places and find what truly brings us joy, and focus on that each and every day, not just Fridays. And once you find this joy make sure you spend a little bit of time as often as you can soaking in this activity. A psychology professor of mine once told me that to keep a healthy psyche that we must for every one thing that we are obligated to do we must do seven things that we want to do to keep the balance. This of course does not mean that we will all be able to quit our hated jobs and leave the ugly cubicles behind, but maybe we can bring a little joy into our lives every day not just the weekends. So I challenge you all to make the effort to wakr up every morning and say TGiM or TGiT! And attack the day with vigor are break the program of society and take a hold of your own life, your own day!

1 comment:

Cheryl Ann Wills said...

here! here!
As for me, I say, TGIE! (Guess what THAT is! hee hee!)