Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

my bodyguard



Thursday, April 12 at 215pm my bodyguard left this earth. There is an old saying that great horses are knights reincarnated and if there ever was a great horse he was one. For those of you who haven't experienced a relationship with a horse you will have no idea what I am talking about so the best way I can describe it to you is this, he challenged me, loved me, fought with me, played with me, bled for me, worked for me, gave his entire heart for me, and I did the same. We were in all definitions partners. 8 years ago he was diagnosed with COPD and with monitoring it was under control, two weeks ago the disease started taking its toll and steriods, antibiotics and antihystamines did no good. On our walk in from the pasture to get his daily med dose he had a seizure and died with his head in my hand he took his last breath. He had been my horse for 14 years, a member of my family and my friend.

I wrote the following poem years ago while grooming him late one night after a summer workout. It was and is the sum of all that he means to me.

Oh my ancient steed,
Of ancient time and place,
Who in a daisied meadow,
Was born of strength and grace.

Oh my ancient steed,
Of ancient time and place,
Whose eyes are full of wonder,
Whose beating steps shake earth
Resembling the sound of thunder,.

And oh my ancient steed,
Of ancient time and place,
Whose eyes are full of wisdom,
~Whose face is full of grace.
Amazing it is to me,
That a beast so strong and true,
Would choose to be my confidante,
My guardian pure and true.

And oh my ancient steed,
Of ancient time and place,
When the lightning leaves your footsteps,
And the wind won't kiss your face,
Know this my ancient steed,
When you must leave this place;
My heart will be your home,
Where I carry memories of your face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He was an amazing beast and he will be missed by many. I love you Bodyguard.










5 comments:

Success is Closer Than You Think said...

You and Bodyguard were a special pair. Reading this blog I cried, not for the first time. But the memory of Bodyguard will always be one of joy for the joy he brought to you.

Stephen 67 said...

What can words say that will match what is in the heart? Losing one as noble as he is, is difficult for those who love them. When you ar there when they go, hoding them close, you feel their soul pass through yours, and it leaves a part of it within you forever. I remember. You are in our hearts, Becca.

Bryan S. said...

, Becca. What a beautiful and inspiring friendship!

Bryan

God is my Co-Pilot said...

Dearest Becca,
I want to send you my heartfelt sympathy over the loose of Bodyguard. Although we have never owned a horse we are none the less an animal loving family. Our pets become such important parts of our life’s and those pets I truly believe think they are one of us “human beings”. The other day I was listening to Joel Osteen on CD. He mentioned that things/events come in and out of our lives like the seasons. Sometimes they are here for years and some for a short period of time. But the fact is they are here to support us, get us through some hard times, and so on. Then one day they are taken away from us, whether having someone move away or by death. God knows what he is doing and something or someone will cross our path during the next season. I would like to share a story about my son’s wonderful dog Sheba (Dalmatian/Lab mix). From the time Genaro aka: Gino was little he was in love with dogs and critters. Oh how he would catch the wild little alligator lizards from our backyard and set up homes for them and feed them. He loved going to my mother-in-laws sister home as they lived on a ranch. When Gino turned 18 we went to the Humane Society and adopted a 3 month old dog. That was our Sheba. Oh how loving this dog was, and trained easily. She was such a joy to have in our home. Now that he was old enough Gino started working at the local Pet World. I knew we and bought an all were in for trouble. One day he came home and said he felt his sister Amy needed a cat. So, he and I went and purchased an all black kitten. His name is Salem (at the time Amy watched Sabrina the Teenage Witch so that is how the kitten got his name). Gino has also owned a Rosie Boa, Turtles (they grew so big we took them over to my father-in-laws turtle pond), Massive fish aquarium, mice, hamsters, and more alligator lizards. It is funny how our pets know when we are feeling down would etc. Gino lived at home till April 2009 and then moved out with his dog. I do not have grandchildren but I do have grand doggies/cat. When Gino would go out of town Sheba came and stayed with us, and she would go looking for Salem every time she walked in the house. During the Winter Season of 2010 Sheba started having some problems with her bladder. After taking her to the Vet she was diagnosed with cancer of the bladder. I knew that this was going to be the last Christmas we would have her around. The Vet gave of some meds to help Sheba from being in pain, but, explained that it was only temporary. Sheba was back to her “old self.” Then the last week of February of 2011 Sheba took a turn for the worse and my son had to make the hardest decision ever – keep her and allow her to be in pain or let her go and put her to sleep and be at peace. You see Sheba was my son’s best friend. She was there for him through so many things from the kid’s dad wanting a divorce from me, to us finding out his sister had a brain tumor stage 1 cancer. Oh but Sheba was funny too. When Gino had his female friends over without failure is Sheba did not like the girls she would pee on the floor or blanket on chair so they could not sit down. The family all gathered at the Vets office to say our last goodbyes to our trusted, loving, and giving friend of 13 human years/76 in dog years. On February 25, 2011 Sheba went to sleep. I believe that Sheba left us so Amy would be with us. Amy still has cancer issues but she is here and fighting. Gino had no intentions of getting another dog, but approximately 4 months after Sheba’s passing he purchased a female boxer. She is as cute as can be and is a joy to have around. So, you see that even though Bodyguard has left this earth it was the season of change that happened.
It is ok Becca to cry as you lost your best friend. I can say this the hurt will go away but the memories are grand. Love you sweetie and take care. Sharon

Cheryl Ann Wills said...

You and Bodyguard were made for each other. But, as my cousin Sharon notes, life is about seasons. One day his spot in your heart will be full. Not necessarily with another horse. It will be full with the healing power and love of your God who created Bodyguard and you and who created the season for you two together.
I am sad that it's been so long since I saw him. But the memory of you with him will forever be etched in my mind. And for that I am grateful.
Trust in the One who loves you both.